Office: DTB 527
Email: etiennel AT uvic DOT ca
I am a PhD student in applied mathematics, under the supervision of Prof. Boualem Khouider. My current research focuses on the mean field equations of a particular model for tropical convection.
My academic interests encompass mathematics, statistics, computer science (particularly machine learning and statistical learning theory), and atmospheric physics. I am especially fond of fields whose proofs begin with such statements as "let ε>0," or "let U be open."
My extracurricular interests range between chess, kickboxing, climbing, and salsa dancing. Here is one of the salsa routines I have choreographed.
- PhD in Applied Mathematics at University of Victoria, 2021-Present,
- Honours in Mathematics and Computer Science with Statistics minor at University of Victoria, 2015-2021,
- Dean's List, Recipient of Governor General's Silver Medal.
- E. Leclerc, G. MacGillivray and J. Warren, "Switching (m,n)-mixed graphs with respect to Abelian groups", Manuscript submitted to Theoretical Computer Science, 2021, arxiv link
- B. Khouider and E. Leclerc, "Toward a stochastic relaxation for the quasi-equilibrium theory of cumulus parameterization: Multicloud instability, multiple equilibria, and chaotic dynamics", Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 2474-2502, 2019, paper
- "Toward a Stochastic Relaxation for the Quasi-Equilibrium Theory of Cumulus Parameterization: Multiloud Instability, Multiple Equilibria, and Chaotic Dynamics" at CMOS Conference, 2021,
- "A Whirlwind of Mathematics" at UVic Students in Undergraduate Mathematics Seminar, 2020 (slides; this was an informal, gentle introduction to fluid dynamics and vorticity for a general undergraduate audience),
- "Switching Homomorphisms on Mixed Graphs" at UVic Discrete Math Seminar, 2019,
- "Deriving the Navier-Stokes Equations" at UVic Students in Undergraduate Mathematics Seminars, 2019 (2-part talk),
- "A Stochastic Cloud Parametrization" at UVic Undergraduate Mathematics Conference, 2018,
- "Minkowski's Theorem" at CMS Math Camp, 2018 (this was an interactive talk on the geometry of numbers, for engaged high school students).
- Math & Stats Assistance Centre tutor, Fall 2021,
- Tutorial instructor, Math 110 (Matrix Algebra for Engineers) & Math 101 (Calculus II), Fall 2021.
- Math & Stats Assistance Centre tutor, Spring 2021,
- Tutorial instructor, Math 101 (Calculus II), Spring 2021,
- Marker, Math 122 (Logic and Foundations) & Math 492 (Waves in the Atmosphere and Ocean), Fall 2020,
- Tutorial instructor, Math 101 (Calculus I), Fall 2019,
- Math & Stats Assistance Centre tutor, Fall 2018,
- Marker, Math 211 (Matrix Algebra I), Spring 2018.
- Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society Conference 2021,
- Workshop on Spatial Organisation of Convection, Clouds and Precipitation, 2021,
- PIMS Scientific Grand Challenges and New Perspectives in Applied Mathematics: Ocean, Atmosphere and Climate Sciences, 2019,
- Canadian Undergraduate Math Conference, 2018,
- UVic Undergraduate Math Conference, 2017, 2018.